1. How does it work?
The top of the dryer (called the “pod”) contains a heating element, a fan and a motor to power the fan. Attached to the underside of the pod and forming the leg of the dryer is an air tube. The air tube contains holes, or air jets. When the dryer is turned on, the fan forces warmed air down the tube and out of the air jets. However, the body dryer does not forcefully blow the water off of your body like some of the newer hand dryers or like you are in a car wash; rather, it produces a gentle, warm breeze that dries your body by accelerating the evaporation of the moisture.
The air jets are created by the injection mold itself and are pre-set at different and specific angles so that, for example, the air exiting the holes near the bottom of the tube is aimed somewhat downward to ensure drying of the feet even if the bottom of the tube is elevated some inches above the shower floor or bottom of a bathtub. Also, the specially designed air tube causes the air to circulate in a swirling motion throughout the shower enclosure and the force of air is almost the same at the bottom as that exiting near the top, thus promoting the even drying of the entire body from head to toes.
The design of the air tube and the resulting air flow is so unique that it was granted a patent!
2. How long will it take to dry my body after showering?
It takes approximately the same amount of time to reach the same degree of dryness with the Tornado Body Dryer as it does with a towel. Research indicates that a typical individual spends about 2 minutes drying off with a towel. However, they do not get totally dry after 2 minutes. This is because the towel becomes damp and continued use of the damp towel does not produce additional drying. In addition, there are some “hard to reach areas”, especially for the physically challenged, that are difficult to dry.
Users of the Tornado Body Dryer report their bodies are about 85% dry after 2 – 2 ½ minutes. They report that, just as when using a towel, a very thin layer of moisture remains after this time, but it evaporates within seconds of exiting the humid shower enclosure. As would be expected, the time required by any specific user will vary depending on the shower enclosure, body size, body hair, etc. For example, a very large person or one with an abundance of body hair will take a little longer to dry, as will a person in a wheelchair. In this latter instance, the chair is being dried by the body dryer too. Interestingly, while the drying time is relatively short, many users (especially women) report that they stay in the shower longer just to enjoy the luxurious, spa-like experience created by the warm, swirling air.
3. Is it safe?
Yes! The dryer is perfectly safe to operate within the shower. To ensure safety, the dryer must be installed by a qualified electrician following the instructions provided, which include routing the electrical cable outside the shower area and connecting to a dedicated power source utilizing a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter).
4. Is the dryer energy-efficient and environmentally friendly?
Most definitely! The use of low wattage components coupled with the unique air circulation system keeps power (wattage) requirements to a minimum. Nominal output is 2.9 Kilowatts and the body dryer only costs about $.02 per use. (That’s 2 cents.) Our tests indicate the Tornado Body Dryer consumes 70% – 90% less energy compared to washing/drying towels (each towel used multiple times with several towels per load). Not only is the dryer energy efficient, it also helps protect the environment, and saves more money by eliminating the water and polluting detergent used to wash towels.
5. How warm is the air that comes out of the air jets?
The air coming out of the jets will feel comfortably warm, but not excessively hot. Since the dryer circulates air within the shower enclosure (warming it during the process), the actual temperature coming out of the dryer is partially dependent on the temperature of the air going in (i.e., the temperature in the room). The air coming out will be 5º to 7º F warmer than the ambient temperature in the room.
6. What maintenance is required?
There is no maintenance required other than ensuring the air intake and air jets remain clear of obstructions. The motor, heating element and fan are all contained in the sealed pod. The pod should not be opened and the components are not to be tampered with — to do so will result in voiding the warranty.
7. How many of the units have been sold? / Is the body dryer reliable? / Is there a warranty?
The body dryer is an extremely reliable, proven product — over 18,000 have been sold and many hundreds of these patented body dryers have been in daily use for over 15 years. Reliability is so high that we provide, not ninety days, but rather a full Two-Year Warranty; further, extended warranties are available as an option at additional cost. Tornado Body Dryer, LLC is fully owned and operated by U.S. Military Veterans.
8. Can the unit be installed in any shower?
Most showers are enclosed on all four sides by walls and a door or curtain. If a shower curtain is used, it should be weighted at the bottom, or made of material that will not be blown about. We have tested for drying effectiveness in enclosures with no door or with an open window present or with an air vent turned on directly above the shower enclosure and have found that these variables have minimal, if any, impact on performance. The body dryer can be installed in any shower, including fiberglass showers. If you have a unique shower installation and have questions, please contact Support (see #13 below).
9. Can the unit be used with a bathtub instead of a shower?
Usually, but modifications may be required. Ultimately, it depends on the design of the tub — read on:
The body dryer is typically (but not always — see Walk-In Tubs below) used as a vertical, ceiling to floor (i.e., head to toes) unit. It is designed to be installed on a wall that allows the dryer to be flat up against the wall from top to bottom, and come to rest on the floor or a small ledge.
Bathtubs usually do not have such a wall. Rather, bathtubs typically have ledges, or rims around the top of the tub and these ledges/rims would not allow for a head to toes installation flat against the wall. However, there are possible solutions:
- A simple ledge-width build-out can be added above the tub so the body dryer’s pod can be affixed to the build-out, thereby allowing the air tube to extend straight down into the tub (tub water in the air tube is OK).
- As an alternate option, up to 18” can be trimmed from the bottom of the air tube without degrading performance to an unacceptable level. This would allow installation on the wall surrounding the tub, assuming the rim/ledge is not more than 18” from the bottom of the tub and if the rim/ledge is wide enough to support the bottom of the air tube. (Note: The cap supplied with the unit and intended to fit on the bottom opening of the air tube must be modified to fit the new opening created when the air tube is trimmed.)
- A preferred alternative for bathtub and Walk-In Tub users would be to mount the body dryer vertically just outside the tub. One may also use a drying cabinet/enclosure separate from the tub.
- For more info on the above or other special or unusual situations, please contact Support (see #13 below).
10. What are the product specifications?
The casing is made of high-quality, injection-molded, ABS plastic. The dryer is compact, light weight (9.2 lbs), and measures 6’ 10” (81” plus 1” at the top for the wiring sheath) from top to bottom. Shipping weight is about 18 lbs. The pod is in the shape of a quarter-moon and measures 13½” side-to-side and 10¼” front-to-back. The air tube’s circumference at the widest part near the pod is 12”.
As with electric clothes dryers and ovens, a dedicated 220v (12.8 amps) circuit is required by the body dryer in order to produce sufficient air flow and warmth (110v units have proven ineffective). Most all homes in North America are capable of supporting both 110v and 220v.
11. How is it installed?
The dryer comes with a mounting plate that attaches to the shower wall using small screws. The pod has holes so that it can be hung on the hooks that protrude from the mounting plate. The air tube is inserted into the bottom of the pod and rests on the shower floor to support the weight of the unit. Taking measurements, attaching the mounting plate, hanging the pod and inserting the air tube can be completed within 60 minutes. The dryer must be connected to electrical power, which must be done by a qualified electrician. The time required for this varies widely based on the existing wiring configuration in the house or facility.
12. How do you turn it on and off?
The unit comes with a pressure-activated bellows switch that can be placed on the shower floor for foot activation, or mounted on the wall for activation by hand, head, shoulder, knee, etc. The switch provides three positions (off, low-speed and high-speed).
13. Is there a Support Line to answer other questions I may have?
Yes, support is available during normal business hours. You may call 317-896-1111, send a fax to 317-867-3212, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
14. How is the Tornado Body Dryer different than others?
The Tornado Body Dryer is not the only after-shower body dryer on the market…just the best!
- None of the other models can be installed directly in the shower and so require you to step out of your warm shower, drip across the bathroom floor, become chilled, and dry in a separate area.
- One of the other models dries by blowing water off your body. The force of air is so harsh that you feel like a car in a carwash.
- With another model, the air blows only from above, drying your head much quicker than the rest of you
. Another model is so big, you need to build a castle just to house it . Certain other brands look like the Tornado as their outer shells are the same. The difference is inside. The Tornado Body Dryer is specifically assembled and wired to meet codes and operate properly in the USA. All other dryers with the same outer shell as the Tornado are not approved and not authorized for sale in the USA.
The Tornado Body Dryer is not simply a gigantic hair dryer nor is it a low-cost, poor quality product produced in a country where English is the 2nd (or third) language. Quite the opposite — it is a high-tech engineering marvel. Getting the air pressure evenly distributed from top to bottom required extensive research and highly specialized (and expensive) components. This research resulted in the inventor winning multiple awards and being granted a Patent for the
The Tornado Body Dryer’s attractive appearance, high-tech engineering and rugged commercial/industrial-strength construction will add value to your home or facility and provide you with years and years of reliable maintenance-free service and spa-like enjoyment.
The Tornado Body Dryer is compact and dries you evenly from
15. What does the unit cost and how do I purchase one?
Please send an email with your questions to RichardB@tornadobodydryer.com or call 949-485-8928 for purchasing information. If preferred, we may be able to quote an installed price as well.
16. What else should I know about the Tornado Body Dryer?
Listed below are some additional items that may be useful information to you:
- The standard dryer comes in White. Units painted in a different color are available at additional cost.
- The dryer is usually installed in a corner of your shower. It can be installed in a location other than a corner, but it may require the use of a small slanted or wedge-shaped mounting block in order to point the air jets in the desired direction.
- If there is an exhaust fan near your shower, try using the dryer with the fan off for a few times and then with it on. The exhaust fan will decrease the humidity within the shower cabinet and may speed the drying process. However, at the same time, the exhaust fan will also decrease the warmth within the shower cabinet and may delay the drying process. Experiment to find what works best for you.
- If the body dryer is to be installed near a swimming pool, it is recommended that it be placed inside an enclosure such as a shower stall or a “drying cabinet”. This allows the air to properly “bounce off the walls” and swirl around so that even the part of your body not facing the jets
getsexposed to the air flow, thus speeding the drying process. A drying cabinet can be as simple as a shower curtain hung to create a full enclosure.
- Moving? Simply disconnect the electricity to the unit, leave about three feet of wiring extending from the pod, lift the pod off its bracket, unscrew the wall bracket and take the unit, wall bracket, GFCI and bellows switch to the dryer’s new location.
The unit operates at 220v to 240v / 12.8 amps. Nominal output is 2.9 Kilowatts. The 220v line is needed to effectively power the motor and heating element to produce sufficient heat and air flow. Most all homes in North America are capable of supporting both 110v and 220v. A GFCI on the line is required at the circuit box. Installation must be done by a qualified electrician.
Material / Color
The outer casing is made of high-quality, injection-molded, ABS plastic. The dryer comes standard in White, but colors are available at an added cost.
Unit Height: The entire assembled unit measures 82” from the bottom cap of the air tube to the top of the pod. This includes the 1” hard plastic cap that sits on top of the pod where the one meter (39”) of wiring exits the pod. This provides sufficient wiring for the electrician to connect to the building’s 220v line.
Pod: The pod is in the shape of a quarter-moon and measures 13½” side-to-side and 10¼” front-to-back.
Air Tube: The top end of the tapered air tube, it’s widest/deepest point, is only 4″ wide.
Unit Weight: 9.2 lbs.
Girth = 9” + 15” x 2 = 48” + Length = 38” = Total: 86” // Shipping Weight: 18 lbs.
The Tornado Body Dryer is listed on the Federal Government’s AbleData database as an “Assistive Technology”.
Government Purchasers: Tornado Body Dryer, LLC is registered in SAM as Tornado Body Dryer, LLC, a (100%) Veteran-Owned Small Business, DUNS Number 832971522 and CAGE Code 6LF48.